summaryrefslogtreecommitdiff
diff options
context:
space:
mode:
authorAndreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@gentoo.org>2017-03-18 19:43:44 +0100
committerAndreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@gentoo.org>2017-03-18 19:43:44 +0100
commit02e644b29a493a0f83383c1357423f9de29f2304 (patch)
tree8a0cecfefc4a3a373e923cf26219a2433d6e03c2 /decisions
parentadd summary and signature for 2017/03/12 (diff)
downloadcouncil-02e644b29a493a0f83383c1357423f9de29f2304.tar.gz
council-02e644b29a493a0f83383c1357423f9de29f2304.tar.bz2
council-02e644b29a493a0f83383c1357423f9de29f2304.zip
Index 2005/9, 2010/9, 2010/10, 2010/11, 2010/12, 2017/3
Diffstat (limited to 'decisions')
-rw-r--r--decisions/decisions.but14
-rw-r--r--decisions/decisions.bux12
-rw-r--r--decisions/decisions.mlf2
-rw-r--r--decisions/decisions.mls2
-rw-r--r--decisions/decisions.mlt2
-rw-r--r--decisions/decisions.tex15
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20050915.tex33
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20100927.tex49
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20101026.tex33
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20101130.tex48
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20101218.tex128
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20170312.tex43
12 files changed, 379 insertions, 2 deletions
diff --git a/decisions/decisions.but b/decisions/decisions.but
index 3b7375d..c36b0e7 100644
--- a/decisions/decisions.but
+++ b/decisions/decisions.but
@@ -26,6 +26,8 @@ Documentation on Gentoo Council meeting processes, particularly regarding agenda
[Future EAPI] newins et al. should accept "-" for standard input
273101
Need for a variable to set the number of parallel jobs
+273620
+[TRACKER] sys-apps/portage EAPI 4 implementation
273625
Slot operator dependencies (EAPI 4)
273633
@@ -38,6 +40,10 @@ USE is calculated differently (EAPI 5)
Support for license groups in ebuilds
303919
Prefer -i18n option of doman to filename language suffix
+316401
+Add resolution OBSOLETE
+316405
+Disable resolutions LATER and REMIND
317337
[Future EAPI]: BDEPEND (HDEPEND) for classifying build time dependencies as CBUILD or CHOST ones
322049
@@ -50,6 +56,8 @@ Merge -council and -project mailing lists
council changed the waiting period in "eclass removal policy"
344479
Slacker point for ferringb
+349021
+Tracker: Use flag restructuring
354219
[Future EAPI] Zero-or-one-of operator for REQUIRED_USE
363005
@@ -186,3 +194,9 @@ please make repoman ignore a missing "# $Id$" header line
repoman should prevent people from adding a new package with a metadata.xml pointing to maintained-needed directly
596678
Missing log and summary for council meeting 2016-09-11 & 2016-10-09
+610990
+Please create a BZ product "Gentoo Council" similar to "Gentoo Foundation"
+611234
+Council vote: CVS headers and git expansion
+611376
+New GitHub Terms of Service
diff --git a/decisions/decisions.bux b/decisions/decisions.bux
index 1d5117b..f254497 100644
--- a/decisions/decisions.bux
+++ b/decisions/decisions.bux
@@ -6,6 +6,8 @@ dynamic SLOT;SLOT!dynamic
--disable-dependency-tracking;src_configure;econf
234706
arches!slacking
+234711
+GLEP!54;scm version suffix;live suffix
237381
council!appeals process
256453
@@ -18,10 +20,16 @@ docompress;EAPI!4
USE;EAPI!5
303919
doman;PMS
+316401
+RESOLVED!OBSOLETE;bugzilla;bugs.gentoo.org
+316405
+RESOLVED!LATER;RESOLVED!REMIND;bugzilla;bugs.gentoo.org
322049
use_with
331921
PV;devmanual
+331987
+mailing list!gentoo-council;mailing list!gentoo-project
565566
ChangeLog files!sort order
565700
@@ -42,3 +50,7 @@ CVS headers;packages!app-portage/repoman
packages!sys-devel/gcc;use flag!multislot
590972
packages!app-portage/repoman;metadata.xml;maintainer-needed
+611234
+CVS headers;\$Id\$;\$Header\$;git!keyword expansion
+611376
+github!ToS
diff --git a/decisions/decisions.mlf b/decisions/decisions.mlf
index 59cc52d..69fb0a1 100644
--- a/decisions/decisions.mlf
+++ b/decisions/decisions.mlf
@@ -146,6 +146,8 @@ b9460b9c8d578c3498c217c17b75afd4:gentoo-dev
Ulrich Mueller
bc0a1b7498c389bdbb0b0d52feb43391:gentoo-project
Ulrich Mueller
+bec5db8373fca0271fcadf0cd55724e8:gentoo-dev
+Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis
c60f7c1514f175b8cc0d376ae9373e17:gentoo-project
Ulrich Mueller
cb8a98613ce0682f9ee0aaa268f3374b:gentoo-dev
diff --git a/decisions/decisions.mls b/decisions/decisions.mls
index 8ab31aa..890e441 100644
--- a/decisions/decisions.mls
+++ b/decisions/decisions.mls
@@ -146,6 +146,8 @@ b9460b9c8d578c3498c217c17b75afd4:gentoo-dev
[gentoo-dev] RFD: News item format 2.0
bc0a1b7498c389bdbb0b0d52feb43391:gentoo-project
Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2016-01-10
+bec5db8373fca0271fcadf0cd55724e8:gentoo-dev
+[gentoo-dev] Summary of suggested new features in EAPI=&quot;4&quot;
c60f7c1514f175b8cc0d376ae9373e17:gentoo-project
Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-12-13
cb8a98613ce0682f9ee0aaa268f3374b:gentoo-dev
diff --git a/decisions/decisions.mlt b/decisions/decisions.mlt
index 2e1fb29..4c90005 100644
--- a/decisions/decisions.mlt
+++ b/decisions/decisions.mlt
@@ -146,6 +146,8 @@ b9460b9c8d578c3498c217c17b75afd4:gentoo-dev
Tue, 12 Jan 2016 18:13:51
bc0a1b7498c389bdbb0b0d52feb43391:gentoo-project
Sun, 27 Dec 2015 18:03:56
+bec5db8373fca0271fcadf0cd55724e8:gentoo-dev
+Sat, 18 Dec 2010 01:45:51
c60f7c1514f175b8cc0d376ae9373e17:gentoo-project
Sun, 29 Nov 2015 16:08:38
cb8a98613ce0682f9ee0aaa268f3374b:gentoo-dev
diff --git a/decisions/decisions.tex b/decisions/decisions.tex
index b0ca70f..ed5b32c 100644
--- a/decisions/decisions.tex
+++ b/decisions/decisions.tex
@@ -47,7 +47,7 @@
\renewcommand{\textrangle}{\ensuremath{>}}
\InputIfFileExists{\jobname.bug}{}
-\newcommand{\bug}[1]{\href{https://bugs.gentoo.org/#1}{\index{Bug!#1}%
+\newcommand{\bug}[1]{\href{https://bugs.gentoo.org/#1}{\index{bug!#1}%
\gentoobugadd{#1}%
bug {#1}}%
\gentooifempty{\gentoobugtitle{#1}}{}{ (``{\em\gentoobugtitle{#1}}'')}%
@@ -80,6 +80,9 @@ subject ``{\em\gentoomailsubject{#2}}'', \gentoomaildate{#2})}}
\newcommand{\eclass}[1]{{#1}.eclass\index{eclass!#1.eclass}}
\newcommand{\glep}[1]{\href{https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:#1}{GLEP {#1}}\index{GLEP!#1}}
+\newcommand{\package}[1]{\href{https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/#1}{#1}%
+\index{package!#1}}
+
\newcommand{\vote}[2]{
\begin{quote}
{\bf vote:}
@@ -130,6 +133,10 @@ pdfauthor={Andreas K. Huettel}
\chapter{Meeting summaries 2005/06}
+Council members: agriffis, azarah, Koon, seemant, solar, SwifT, vapier
+
+\include{summary-20050915}
+
\chapter{Meeting summaries 2006/07}
\chapter{Meeting summaries 2007/08}
@@ -156,7 +163,10 @@ ferringb, halyc0n (until 12/2010), jmbsvicetto, scarabeus, wired
\include{summary-20100726}
\include{summary-20100809}
\include{summary-20100823}
-
+\include{summary-20100927}
+\include{summary-20101026}
+\include{summary-20101130}
+\include{summary-20101218}
\include{summary-20110111}
\include{summary-20110201}
\include{summary-20110308}
@@ -260,6 +270,7 @@ All summaries have been added here.
\include{summary-20161211}
\include{summary-20170109}
\include{summary-20170212}
+\include{summary-20170312}
\part{Topic notes}
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20050915.tex b/decisions/summary-20050915.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..27c4251
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20050915.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,33 @@
+
+\summary{2005}{9}{15}
+
+
+\agendaitem{Already defined roles}
+\index{project!devrel}\index{project!qa}\index{GLEP!31}
+
+Official confirmation that the council is inline with
+ the already-defined roles of devrel and QA and its commitment
+ to make already-approved GLEPs (including \glep{31}) respected
+ (Clarification of position asked by many people including
+ Ciaran McCreesh, Patrick Lauer and Lance Albertson):
+
+Confirmed with the caveat that the council is not taking on
+disciplinary responsibilities. The QA team should take complaints
+regarding unresolved technical violations to devrel to pursue
+displinary action.
+
+Regarding \glep{31}, the council is in favor of enforcement ASAP,
+provided nano is confirmed to be capable of compliance. That will set
+the bar to require UTF-8 capable editors for portage work.
+
+
+\agendaitem{GLEP 40: Standardizing "arch" keywording across all archs}
+\index{GLEP!40}\index{keywords}\index{arches}
+
+Approved.
+
+
+\agendaitem{GLEP 33: Eclass Restructure/Redesign}
+\index{GLEP!33}\index{eclasses}
+
+Approved.
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20100927.tex b/decisions/summary-20100927.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..15b2e46
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20100927.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,49 @@
+
+\summary{2010}{9}{27}
+
+\agendaitem{FOSDEM}
+\index{FOSDEM}
+
+What council members plan to attend the 2011 edition?
+
+Betelgeuse, jmbsvicetto and wired are set to go. scarabeus is a
+tentative maybe. jmbsvicetto will try to arrange Saturday's dinner - with
+possible help from bonsaikitten. Further discussion was pushed to the existing
+FOSDEM thread in the project ml.
+
+\agendaitem{meeting time}
+
+The US council members (ferringb and halcy0n) have started a new
+discussion about the meeting time, as the current schedule doesn't work for them
+
+\agendaitem{LiveDVD}
+\index{LiveDVD}
+
+scarabeus recalled that we should try to get a new livedvd (with new codename)
+out soon, so we can have a bug release before FOSDEM.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Bugs assigned to the Council}
+
+\begin{itemize}
+ \item
+ \bug{234706}: no new info. Halcy0n is very busy so would welcome any other
+member taking care of this bug.
+ \item
+ \bug{234711}: discussion about GLEP54 was done in the last meeting and there
+was a vote for _live. jmbsvicetto will take care of the bug.
+ \item
+ \bug{237381}: jmbsvicetto will start a thread in the project ml later today
+about this issue
+ \item
+ \bug{316401}: waiting for resolution by the bugzilla team
+ \item
+ \bug{316405}: waiting for resolution by the bugzilla team
+ \item
+ \bug{331987}: waiting on infra
+\end{itemize}
+
+
+\agendaitem{Open floor - listen to the community}
+
+No issue was brought to the attention of the council at this meeting.
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20101026.tex b/decisions/summary-20101026.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..2bb3054
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20101026.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,33 @@
+
+\summary{2010}{10}{26}
+
+
+\agendaitem{la files}
+\index{.la files}\index{libtool}
+
+The council decided that removing la files is the right thing to do,
+ but the whole thing will be taken to the -dev ML to allow devs to
+ express their opinions/objections, if any. Jorge will handle this.
+
+ The removal will only happen after portage-2.1.9 or later is
+ stabilized, since this is the first version that can fix la files
+ automatically.
+
+ At that time, a news item will be released to inform users on how to
+ fix any issues that may arise from the removal.
+
+
+\agendaitem{EAPI 4}
+\index{EAPI!4}\index{REQUIRED_USE}
+
+few_ suggested finalizing EAPI 4 with the features currently
+ implemented in portage (\bug{273620}).
+
+ we agreed that this is a good idea, as long as a spec list is built
+ and PMS patches are written for all the features.
+
+ ferringb will write documentation for REQUIRED_USE.
+
+ the council will finalize things in the next meeting. people
+ responsible for EAPI 4 should be pinged beforehand so they can attend
+ that meeting.
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20101130.tex b/decisions/summary-20101130.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..f832749
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20101130.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,48 @@
+
+\summary{2010}{11}{30}
+
+
+\agendaitem{future meetings}
+
+We've talked [on alias] about alternating between Tuesdays and
+ Saturdays, because Halcy0n can't do weekdays and Chainsaw couldn't do
+ weekends.
+
+ In the meeting it turned out that Chainsaw can do Saturdays,
+ although the timing is really hard for ferringb.
+
+ We decided to have our next meeting on Saturday the 18th of December,
+ at 1500 UTC. jmbsvicetto will chair.
+
+ We'll keep switching between Tuesdays and Saturdays for the time
+ being to try and accomodate all members.
+
+
+\agendaitem{EAPI 4}
+\index{EAPI!4}\index{MERGING_FROM}
+
+The council agreed that the current EAPI-4_pre1 implementation is
+ pretty good. Ulm will work on a PMS patch for EAPI-4. He will
+ create a final tag, that will also include one extra feature, a var
+ called MERGING_FROM, available in pkg_* phases, with the following
+ possible values: ["source","binary"].
+
+The tag will then be approved by the council, either by email or in a
+ meeting, whatever is faster. Our goal is to have EAPI-4 before 2010
+ ends.
+
+\agendaitem{la files removal status/progress}
+\index{.la files}\index{libtool}
+
+Nothing has happened since the last meeting. Jorge did start some ML
+ threads, but there was no interest in the subject.
+
+This needs to be done:
+\begin{enumerate}
+\item write a doc (w/ Diego's blog as source)
+\item publish news item
+\item get portage 2.1.9 stable
+\item let devs remove la files.
+\end{enumerate}
+
+Since no-one volunteered to do 1, we'll push it to the ML.
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20101218.tex b/decisions/summary-20101218.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..ce41f15
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20101218.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,128 @@
+
+\summary{2010}{12}{18}
+
+
+\agendaitem{slacking arches}
+\index{arches!slacking}
+
+This subject was proposed by scarabeus. As he wasn't around, the remaining
+council
+ members shifted the focus to making sure there is enough relevant hardware available
+ to developers to allow arch team work and questioned whether emulation could help
+ on this, at least for non core parts on a trial basis.
+
+ Roy (NeddySeagoon) asked what hardware is needed and whether there should be a
+ funding application to the Foundation. Tony mentioned some hardware that could
+ be used by the ppc64 team and Jorge noted that mainstream arches such as amd64
+ and x86 may also want to make a request.
+
+ Finally, there was a mention that if council cared about this issue, one member
+ could talk to arch teams to determine the hardware requirements and that we could
+ take this opportunity to consider automated test boxes and rethink the boxes for
+ the weekly builds. This issue was sent back to the ml for further debate.
+
+
+\agendaitem{la files removal status / progress}
+\index{.la files}\index{libtool}
+
+
+Jorge mentioned that portage-2.1.9* is now marked stable, but that he failed to
+ take care of the documentation and or submitting a news item proposal based on
+ the previous proposal made by Diego (flameeyes). He suggested the other council
+ members that the council could either set a deadline to get a news item submitted
+ for review in the dev ml after which the la files removal "embargo" would be
+ dropped or just drop the "embargo" immediately and deal with the consequences.
+
+ After some discussion there was a vote on "the council will drop the "embargo" on
+ la file removal if no one submits to the dev ml a news item proposal about this
+ issue before 2359 UTC next Wednesday". There were 3 yes votes and 2 no votes on
+ this proposal.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Arfrever's suggestions for EAPI 4}
+\index{EAPI!4}\index{pkg_required_use}\index{GLEP!55}
+
+Reference: \agoref{gentoo-dev}{bec5db8373fca0271fcadf0cd55724e8}
+
+After some confusion caused by Jorge introducing the pkg_required_use topic
+ during the discussion of this topic, the council members agreed to go over each
+ of the points in Arfrever's email. Brian took the occasion to go over
+each of
+ the points to finally get the discussion about them on record.
+
+Problem \#1: USE flags cannot contain "." characters.
+
+ Brian argued that having "." on use flags is simply an aesthetic issue. Furthermore,
+ use flags are used all over the tree and this could cause backward compatibility
+ issues. Thus this would provide a minor gain, but would require much pain.
+
+ Even though the council members agree that it would be possible to find ways to allow
+ for the use of "." in use flags and that the change itself would be welcome, they
+ agreed that this should only be addressed as part of a major restructuring of use
+ flags, like the introduction of use groups. Petteri opened
+\bug{349021} for this.
+
+ The council voted against the proposed solution for this problem with 5 votes no.
+
+Problem \#2: Files in profiles cannot use features from newer EAPIs.
+
+ Brian argued that Arfrever's proposal for "-\$\{EAPI\}"
+extension files is a nightmare
+ and that it relied on developers to get things right across multiple eapi versions.
+ Jorge and Alex argued that this proposal is another variation of GLEP55 and that
+ they have expressed their dislike for it before.
+
+ The council voted against both proposed solutions for this problem with 5 votes no
+ for the 1st solution and 4 votes no and 1 defer to ml for the 2nd solution.
+
+ During this discussion there was a "detour" into the issue of migrating the EAPI of
+ the base profiles, moving trouble files like package.mask to real profiles and how
+ to ensure a clean upgrade path for old installs. Alex talked about an automated
+ incremental process with switches of rsync sources over time and Brian mentioned the
+ use of repository format markers. This discussion was pushed back to the ml.
+
+Problem \#3: repoman doesn't allow stable packages to have optional
+dependencies on unstable
+ packages (usually until these packages are stabilized).
+
+ Brian argued that both proposed solutions for this problem would cause a maintenance
+ "hell" and would have a noticeable repoman run-time impact. Petteri noted he saw a
+ problem needing a solution in here and Jorge argued that the solutions presented need
+ a debate but that they are not tied to the presented problem.
+
+ During the discussion Petteri asked about a 3rd option, unstable use flags, and Jorge
+ argued that the separate profiles for stable / unstable tree could make sense if we got
+ back to the idea of moving KEYWORDS out of ebuilds.
+
+ In the end the council voted with 5 no votes for both solutions presented in point 3
+ to be part of the EAPI-4 specification.
+
+
+\agendaitem{pkg_required_use}
+\index{pkg_required_use}
+
+
+ After a first attempt to discuss this during the previous point, the council addressed this
+ issue after Ulrich (ulm) recalled he requested it to be added to the topic, which Jorge forgot
+ to do.
+
+ Following some debate about this issue, including requested feedback from both Zac (zmedico)
+ and Brian, the council voted on having EAPI-4 introduce a pkg_required_use function to be
+ called by the PM when it can't fulfill the required_use constraints with 4 no votes and 1
+ yes vote. The council members accepted having an EAPI-4.1 with pkg_required_use if / when
+ there is a need for it in the tree.
+
+ The council also expressed the desire to get a final vote on EAPI-4 before the end of the
+ year. Petteri will propose a schedule to get EAPI-4 voted through email.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Open bugs}
+
+ As the meeting lasted over 2 hours, the productivity was becoming low and Petteri had to
+ leave, the review of the open bugs was pushed for next meeting.
+
+
+
+\agendaitem{Open floor - listen to the community}
+
+No issue was brought to the attention of the council at this meeting.
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20170312.tex b/decisions/summary-20170312.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..9befb7d
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20170312.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,43 @@
+
+\summary{2017}{3}{12}
+
+\agendaitem{Open bugs with council involvement}
+
+\begin{itemize}
+ \item
+ \bug{565566}:
+ No change of status, waiting for infra action.
+ \item
+ \bug{571490}:
+ council approved the summary and dilfridge stated he would commit it.
+ \item
+ \bug{611234}:
+The following motion was put before the council by k_f and approved unanimously.
+\vote{The council confirms its earlier decision (2014-10-14 meeting) to drop CVS
+headers after migration to Git.
+\begin{enumerate}
+\item Any \$Id\$ and \$Header\$ lines are to be removed from ebuilds and
+eclasses in the gentoo repository, as well as from other files, e.g., metadata,
+profiles, and files (except patches) in FILESDIR.
+\item Removal should be done at once, and a repoman check should be implemented
+to prevent such lines from accidentally being inserted again.
+\item Infra is asked not to expand any \$Id\$ or other keywords, neither at
+rsync generation time, nor via git attributes in the development repository.
+\end{enumerate}
+}{
+Approved unanimously}
+\item
+\bug{610990}:
+Waiting for infra action
+\end{itemize}
+
+
+\agendaitem{Open floor}
+
+Council was asked for a position on \bug{611376}, the github ToS change.
+We agreed that this is an issue for the Trustees, so out of our scope.
+
+Dilfridge advised council that his decisions keywording project is
+progressing.
+
+K_f advised council that there is a draft GLEP for the security project.