summaryrefslogtreecommitdiff
diff options
context:
space:
mode:
authorAndreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@gentoo.org>2017-03-26 00:46:12 +0100
committerAndreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@gentoo.org>2017-03-26 00:46:12 +0100
commit51270587bd9d5e200ae5683523dfcefaf32c7516 (patch)
tree4594dea7abf153ab7ece99a4d01b3ab9f1155d4e /decisions
parentStart GLEP indexing infrastructure (diff)
downloadcouncil-51270587bd9d5e200ae5683523dfcefaf32c7516.tar.gz
council-51270587bd9d5e200ae5683523dfcefaf32c7516.tar.bz2
council-51270587bd9d5e200ae5683523dfcefaf32c7516.zip
Index 2007/1 to 2007/5
Diffstat (limited to 'decisions')
-rw-r--r--decisions/decisions.but2
-rw-r--r--decisions/decisions.tex11
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20070111.tex93
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20070208.tex57
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20070308.tex60
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20070315.tex68
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20070412.tex89
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20070424.tex28
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20070510.tex36
9 files changed, 442 insertions, 2 deletions
diff --git a/decisions/decisions.but b/decisions/decisions.but
index 364e4bd..5c86ad0 100644
--- a/decisions/decisions.but
+++ b/decisions/decisions.but
@@ -10,6 +10,8 @@ Document how to change reply-to headers on gentoo lists
[Future EAPI] "Package names" spec inconsistent
176467
[Future EAPI] Limit values in $USE to ones in $IUSE
+177966
+Clarify Foundation page on external entities
211529
[Future EAPI] have econf run ./configure with --disable-dependency-tracking
21310
diff --git a/decisions/decisions.tex b/decisions/decisions.tex
index 66d29cd..11d95d8 100644
--- a/decisions/decisions.tex
+++ b/decisions/decisions.tex
@@ -167,13 +167,20 @@ All summaries have been added here.
\chapter{Meeting summaries 2006/07}
-Council members: Flameeyes, KingTaco, kloeri, Kugelfang, robbat2, vapier,
-wolf31o2
+Council members: Flameeyes (until 2/2007), KingTaco, kloeri, Kugelfang,
+robbat2, uberlord (starting 3/2007), vapier, wolf31o2
\include{summary-20060914}
\include{summary-20061019}
\include{summary-20061109}
\include{summary-20061214}
+\include{summary-20070111}
+\include{summary-20070208}
+\include{summary-20070308}
+\include{summary-20070315}
+\include{summary-20070412}
+\include{summary-20070424}
+\include{summary-20070510}
\chapter{Meeting summaries 2007/08}
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20070111.tex b/decisions/summary-20070111.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..760a8a2
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20070111.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,93 @@
+
+\summary{2007}{1}{11}
+
+
+\agendaitem{EAPI 0 draft}
+\index{EAPI!0}
+
+Kugelfang reported that the EAPI0 draft document is not quite complete. spb
+had hoped to have it ready before the meeting, but didn't manage. It has been
+ restricted thus far to avoid 'large discussions about minor details' while
+ the bigger picture is assembled. It will be open for all input and
+ refinements later.
+
+\agendaitem{/usr/libexec}
+\index{/usr/libexec}\index{FHS}
+
+Kugelfang visited the issue of the contents of /usr/libexec. Diego and
+ Vapier had raised it previously, and Kugelfang is working on the document,
+ in a style similar to FHS.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Retirement / stepping down of a council member}
+\index{council member!retiring}
+
+Kugelfang wanted to know about the process for council members stepping
+ down. This was prompted by solely by Flameeye's message to the council
+ channel earlier in the day, which implied he was retiring. The point was
+ made moot by Flameeye's later blog post that he was going to take a two week
+ break instead.
+
+On the procedural side, both Kugelfang and KingTaco wanted to know what the
+ what the process for a retiring council member was. Should it be the next
+ person on the original ballot results, or should a further election be held?
+ The spirit of the council GLEP was a further election, but some questions
+ were had in this. The issue needs to be raised on the -dev mailing list, and
+ revisited during the next council meeting.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Bugzilla and CVS}
+\index{bugzilla}\index{cvs.gentoo.org}\index{bugs.gentoo.org}
+
+Robbat2 reported on the successful bugzilla migration, and the work for the
+ new CVS server. The Bugzilla news was well recieved.
+
+
+\agendaitem{SPF}
+\index{SPF}
+
+Robbat2 brought up the status of the SPF documentation. Kloeri said that he
+ has them in a nearly finished state, but hasn't had a chance lately to
+ complete them. Kloeri will other complete them shortly, or upload the drafts
+ to the bug in the meantime.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Meeting agendas}
+\index{council meeting!agenda}
+
+Robbat2 requested that for helping to get an agenda together in future, all
+ council members should just braindump their potential minor items to the
+ council mailing list a few days ahead of each meeting. Large issues should
+ still be raised on -dev/-core as needed, but the smaller stuff like
+ followups can just be braindumped. Robbat2 promised to rig an automated
+ reminder to the council members.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Reply-To}
+\index{Reply-To}
+
+Wolf31o2 inquired as to the status of the Reply-To documentation (\bug{154595}).
+As there was absolutely no progress, Wolf31o2 was going to just
+ write it up and convert it to GuideXML.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Council-managed projects}
+\index{council-managed projects}\index{projects!council-managed}
+
+Wolf31o2 proposed the concept of council-managed projects. These are to be
+ Gentoo-specific projects where the council takes the initiative of defining
+ creating software specifications and requirements, recruits people to
+ work on them (not nessicarily developers), and helps manage the project
+ (leaving people to actually work on it). Some past almost precedents were
+ noted and the council was in favour of the general concept. Wolf31o2 was
+ going to seek out some initial proposals for small projects to test the
+ concept on.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Open Floor}
+\index{Sealand}\index{Gentoo Foundation}
+
+KingTaco jokingly asked if the Gentoo Foundation could afford to buy
+ Sealand, which lead into real queries about the current financial reports.
+ Wolf31o2 located a November 2006 posting in the NFP archives and provided a
+ link to it.
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20070208.tex b/decisions/summary-20070208.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..86ba267
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20070208.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,57 @@
+
+\summary{2007}{2}{8}
+
+
+\agendaitem{Leaving council members}
+\index{council member!retiring}\index{slacker mark}
+
+Change to council \glep{39} to cover when a Council member is no longer part
+ of the Gentoo project (the reason/rhyme is irrelevant). The idea is to
+ streamline slightly the bureaucracy (even if new wording is more verbose).
+
+Old wording: ``If a council member who has been marked a slacker misses any
+further meeting
+ (or their appointed proxy doesn't show up), they lose their position and a
+ new election is held to replace that person. The newly elected council member
+ gets a 'reduced' term so that the yearly elections still elect a full
+group.''
+
+New wording:
+ ``If a council member who has been marked a slacker misses any further meeting
+ (or their appointed proxy doesn't show up), they lose their position.
+ Whenever a member of the Council loses their position (the reason is
+ irrelevant; they could be booted for slacking or they resign or ...), then
+ the next person in line from the previous Council election is offered the
+ position. If they decline, it is offered to the next person in line, and so
+ forth. If they accept and the current Council unanimously accepts the new
+ person, they get the position with a 'reduced' term such that the yearly
+ elections still elect a full group. If the Council does not accept that
+ person, then a new election is held to choose a new member.''
+
+
+\agendaitem{GLEP 23: ACCEPT_LICENSE}
+\index{ACCEPT_LICENSE}
+
+\glep{23} (ACCEPT_LICENSE) is still valid. Should have asked genone to show up
+ ahead of time to clarify what was asked.
+
+
+\agendaitem{GLEP 44: Manifest2}
+\index{Manifest!format 2}
+
+\glep{44} (Manifest2) is looking good and we'll work on getting the remainder
+ packages fixed. Idea is to have it in place in the 2007.0 timeframe.
+
+
+\agendaitem{the ``tr1 issue''}
+
+the tr1 issue (how do we support it properly in dependencies) would be
+ researched to see what packages actually need it and a decision would be
+ made at the next meeting. options include eclass, virtuals, ||(atoms).
+
+
+\agendaitem{Mailing list documentation}
+\index{Reply-To}\index{SPF}
+
+mailing list docs (reply-to and spf) look pretty much done. need to be
+ converted to guidexml and posted.
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20070308.tex b/decisions/summary-20070308.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..1fdb190
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20070308.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,60 @@
+
+\summary{2007}{3}{8}
+
+
+\agendaitem{Retirement of flameeyes}
+
+
+Flameeyes has retired from Gentoo so Uberlord was put into place in
+ accordance with the GLEP changes from last month.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Package Manager Specification (PMS)}
+\index{PMS}
+
+The Package Manager Spec (PMS) posted by spb looks like a good first
+ draft. It will be opened up to the public before next council meeting
+ and we'll review the status again at that time.
+
+
+\agendaitem{State of Gentoo's public communication}
+\index{project!devrel}
+
+The current state of Gentoo's public communication was reviewed. The
+ frequent fighting among people and irrelevant technical related public
+ posts are disheartening. Devrel was charged with revamping our current
+ nettiquette documents and policies for getting people to play nice in the
+ cases where they refuse to and to report back the status next meeting.
+ Council members also agreed to lead by example by taking g2boojum's example.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Expanding the Council GLEP}
+\index{GLEP!39}
+
+We've expanded the Council GLEP slightly:
+``Two Council members may (together) make executive decisions which carry the
+ weight of the full Council. Upon making such a decision, the Gentoo Council
+ mailing list must be notified. At the next meeting, it must also be noted.
+ Any disagreement from the Gentoo community will be taken to the full Gentoo
+ Council.''
+
+
+\agendaitem{The ``tr1 issue''}
+
+The tr1 issue will be resolved in the short term by new-style virtuals. As
+ packages need them, they should create them. Long term, when a sane tr1
+ implementation arises (most likely from GCC itself), the virtuals will be
+ reviewed and probably dissolved.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Splitting the gentoo-dev mailing list}
+
+The topic of splitting the gentoo-dev mailing list up will be punted to the
+ next month's meeting.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Gentoo branded hardware}
+\index{hardware!Gentoo branded}\index{Enterprise Gentoo}
+
+Gentoo branded hardware was discussed and many ideas thrown about. This also
+ touched on the concept of "Enterprise Gentoo".
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20070315.tex b/decisions/summary-20070315.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..9f66f3e
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20070315.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,68 @@
+
+\summary{2007}{3}{15}
+
+Special council meeting for the Gentoo Code of Conduct
+
+
+\agendaitem{Gentoo Code of Conduct}
+\index{Code of Conduct}\index{project!proctors}
+
+wolf31o2 posted a temporary version to his devspace, containing suggestions
+ and clarifications from the Q\&A session.
+
+vapier has some further modifications, including:
+\begin{itemize}
+ \item
+ dropping the all caps to regular case text (accepted)
+ \item
+ rewording of wanting everybody to be ready to apologize to rather taking
+ responsibility for your actions (accepted)
+ \item
+ wanting to involve the ombudsman in the consequences section (not accepted,
+ as the ombudsman is for inter-developer conflict).\index{ombudsman}
+\end{itemize}
+
+robbat2 brought up a set of five conditions to apply to the CoC, given the
+ other input on the mailing lists and the Q\&A session.
+\begin{itemize}
+ \item
+ Conditions \#1 (that the document is fluid) and \#5 (that council may not be
+ proctors) were added directly to the CoC.
+ \item
+ Conditions \#2 (working on a more final version) and \#4 (regular review of
+ proctor actions by the council) were included in the vote.
+ \item
+ Condition \#3 (to find a better name than proctors) was not agreed upon, as
+ it was realized that no single title would ever fit.
+\end{itemize}
+
+\vote{The motion was called for accepted the CoC with the above modifications,
+as well as revisiting it next council meeting, and reviewing the actions of
+proctors during every council meeting.}{Passed 6 votes for yes, and 1 for
+abstain (vapier).}
+
+The document was commited to the council project space temporarily,
+until a better location is found for it:
+http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/coc.xml (now
+\wgoref{Project:Council/Code_of_conduct})
+
+
+\agendaitem{Proctors project members}
+\index{project!forum-mods}\index{project!gentoo-ops}
+
+There was an initial discussion about who the initial group of proctors, are
+ and kloeri and kingtaco agreed to work together on finding them. wolf31o2 and
+ kugelfang were too busy with their work in the 2007.0 release to get involved
+ there.
+
+seemant and g2boojum were mentioned as potential initial candidates,
+ combined with the forums moderators and the \#gentoo ops focusing on their own
+ areas of specialization.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Relevant mailing-list stuff}
+
+robbat2 is working on the implementation of mailing-list stuff from the
+ infrastructure side, linking his implementation plan, and asked for any
+ short-term needs to be brought to him directly until the initial application
+ is ready to go in a few hours.
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20070412.tex b/decisions/summary-20070412.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..cfd3a6d
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20070412.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,89 @@
+
+\summary{2007}{4}{12}
+
+
+\agendaitem{Code of Conduct}
+\index{Code of Conduct}
+
+amne has been doing a good job putting the group together.
+Ask proctors to address these two issues for next meeting:
+\begin{itemize}
+ \item
+ add a "mission" statement
+ \item
+ fix wording to have a positive spin
+\end{itemize}
+
+
+\agendaitem{Sync Social Contract with Gentoo Foundation (external entities)}
+\index{Social Contract}\index{trustees}
+
+trustees will review the statement to clarify things and then
+ we'll look again at syncing
+
+
+\agendaitem{Documentation for mail servers}
+
+They are supposed to be finished in terms of content.
+Wolf will look at getting them actually committed.
+
+
+\agendaitem{PMS}
+\index{PMS}
+
+Current status looks good in getting issues resolved.
+Should be up and running on Gentoo infra by next meeting.
+Let the devs sort out the todo as the current work flow seems
+to be getting things done finally
+
+
+\agendaitem{Splitting gentoo-dev mailing lists}
+\index{mailing list!gentoo-dev}\index{project!proctors}
+
+no real favorable backing for this
+
+people dont like -dev because of the crap, splitting the lists
+ will just move the crap else where, not really solving anything
+
+let proctors do their thing and if need be, review this again
+
+
+\agendaitem{Limiting of council powers}
+
+There doesnt seem to be real backing for this from dev community or
+ the council itself
+
+If a majority of developers are truly upset/disturbed by a
+ council decision, it should show easily
+
+If you dont like a council member, dont vote for them next time
+
+
+\agendaitem{Moving gentoo-core to public archives}
+\index{mailing list!gentoo-core}
+
+Many people dislike this moving forward
+
+Use -dev over -core for most things
+
+Not going to happen at this time
+
+Look into getting a dev-only archive finally
+
+
+\agendaitem{Surveys}
+\index{surveys}
+
+robbat2 will look at getting user/dev surveys in place after the
+ release of 2007.0
+
+probably try and take fresh surveys after each bi-annual release
+from now on to see if we're meeting many of users' desires
+
+
+\agendaitem{New metastructure proposal}
+
+Doesnt seem to address any of the problems it proposes to
+
+A large majority of developers and users prefer the single tree
+ development style that Gentoo has versus many smaller trees
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20070424.tex b/decisions/summary-20070424.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..315c570
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20070424.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,28 @@
+
+\summary{2007}{4}{24}
+
+
+\agendaitem{Multiple version suffixes}
+
+A subset of council members decided today that multiple version suffixes
+are illegal in the tree pending further notice. This decission can be
+appealed at the next Council meeting. If there is sufficient public
+demand, an earlier meeting can be held.
+
+This decission has been made to prevent sufficient precedence for
+unilateral changes to the tree structure. So far the following package
+versions are considered illegal:
+
+\begin{itemize}
+ \item
+ media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_pre20070321-r4
+ \item
+ media-video/transcode-1.0.3_rc2_p20070310-r1
+\end{itemize}
+
+An illegal version specification of media-sound/alsa-driver has already
+been removed from the tree.
+
+I would like to ask the affected package maintainers to move these
+versions to sane version specifications as soon as possible. Thanks in
+advance for this.
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20070510.tex b/decisions/summary-20070510.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..f52807f
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20070510.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,36 @@
+
+\summary{2007}{5}{10}
+
+
+\agendaitem{Mail server documentation}
+
+Documentation for mail servers are on gentoo.org
+ now in infrastructure project
+
+
+\agendaitem{Social contract}
+\index{Social contract}\index{trustees}
+
+Social contract changes are waiting on the trustees
+ to clarify the Foundation statement, see \bug{177966}
+
+
+\agendaitem{Code of conduct updates}
+\index{Code of Conduct}\index{project!proctors}
+
+The proctors have been working on requested CoC updates
+ but has not yet finished
+
+
+\agendaitem{Multiple version suffixes}
+\index{multiple version suffixes}
+
+Multiple version suffixes are valid and free to be
+ used in the tree
+
+
+\agendaitem{PMS}
+\index{PMS}
+
+PMS git repo is being finalized by robbat so it can
+ be moved over