summaryrefslogtreecommitdiff
diff options
context:
space:
mode:
authorAndreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@gentoo.org>2017-03-08 08:45:33 +0100
committerAndreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@gentoo.org>2017-03-08 08:45:33 +0100
commit7d296f3c12500ab3a53c03c8f782bc451b319b04 (patch)
treecc0100e1736ae72377650a619bec687d6aa7dcd6 /decisions
parentIndex 2012/9 and 2012/10 (diff)
downloadcouncil-7d296f3c12500ab3a53c03c8f782bc451b319b04.tar.gz
council-7d296f3c12500ab3a53c03c8f782bc451b319b04.tar.bz2
council-7d296f3c12500ab3a53c03c8f782bc451b319b04.zip
Index 2011/1, 2011/2, 2012/11, 2012/12
Diffstat (limited to 'decisions')
-rw-r--r--decisions/decisions.but12
-rw-r--r--decisions/decisions.mlf4
-rw-r--r--decisions/decisions.mls4
-rw-r--r--decisions/decisions.mlt4
-rw-r--r--decisions/decisions.tex13
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20110111.tex76
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20110201.tex38
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20121113.tex107
-rw-r--r--decisions/summary-20121211.tex33
9 files changed, 290 insertions, 1 deletions
diff --git a/decisions/decisions.but b/decisions/decisions.but
index e975fd4..c3f092d 100644
--- a/decisions/decisions.but
+++ b/decisions/decisions.but
@@ -6,6 +6,8 @@ Native Portage Multilib Support
[Future EAPI] "Package names" spec inconsistent
176467
[Future EAPI] Limit values in $USE to ones in $IUSE
+211529
+[Future EAPI] have econf run ./configure with --disable-dependency-tracking
21310
a standard way to install includes (doinclude/doheader)
229521
@@ -20,6 +22,8 @@ Need for a variable to set the number of parallel jobs
Support for license groups in ebuilds
317337
[Future EAPI]: BDEPEND (HDEPEND) for classifying build time dependencies as CBUILD or CHOST ones
+322049
+use_with 3 arg specification differs in portage for $3=''
354219
[Future EAPI] Zero-or-one-of operator for REQUIRED_USE
363005
@@ -42,6 +46,8 @@ Parse ebuilds for the EAPI assignment
Make the user choose a locale
411069
Portage shouldn't check $EAPI to get the EAPI
+411627
+[TRACKER] tasks to complete before =sys-fs/udev-197-r4 can be stabilized
414813
[Future EAPI] REPOSITORY variable set in ebuild environment
414815
@@ -60,6 +66,12 @@ archives.gentoo.org: Broken URLs for e.g. gentoo-dev-announce and others
Please implement stable use masking
431340
[Future EAPI] Allow bash-4.2 features
+435756
+sys-apps/openrc-0.11.8 stable request
+438338
+Please update devmanual with EAPI5 info
+441004
+Stabilize sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.45: we need a stable version that mounts /usr
445130
document that pkgconfig files should not be modified/added/renamed
447566
diff --git a/decisions/decisions.mlf b/decisions/decisions.mlf
index 1497385..ba72b26 100644
--- a/decisions/decisions.mlf
+++ b/decisions/decisions.mlf
@@ -2,6 +2,8 @@
Andrew Savchenko
03abd30d8945aa816e39b48fab8a9a62:gentoo-project
Michał Górny
+05049f71afe57feda13c2f4c4adafc7c:gentoo-project
+William Hubbs
0a21c4f6829ea34214169a96cacce931:gentoo-project
Michał Górny
0ac51471c7e665c1eea33d4f38e7fd82:gentoo-project
@@ -98,6 +100,8 @@ a9492947c953dc48f74c825d8704ffc0:gentoo-dev
Michał Górny
aed760e7431f6d5ec7518be4d5b75c84:gentoo-dev
Pacho Ramos
+b20048140e8a261569fe4a1d561df6c6:gentoo-project
+Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyen
b25787ca84c1790154d540be8a3daf43:gentoo-project
Fabian Groffen
b26796b26c6fbcfbcd3240bf85a2a67f:gentoo-project
diff --git a/decisions/decisions.mls b/decisions/decisions.mls
index 0b9878c..6b5646f 100644
--- a/decisions/decisions.mls
+++ b/decisions/decisions.mls
@@ -2,6 +2,8 @@
Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2016-02-14
03abd30d8945aa816e39b48fab8a9a62:gentoo-project
Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
+05049f71afe57feda13c2f4c4adafc7c:gentoo-project
+Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 11 November 2012, 19:00 UTC
0a21c4f6829ea34214169a96cacce931:gentoo-project
Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2017-02-12
0ac51471c7e665c1eea33d4f38e7fd82:gentoo-project
@@ -98,6 +100,8 @@ a9492947c953dc48f74c825d8704ffc0:gentoo-dev
[gentoo-dev] Getting EAPI 5 *use.stable.mask to work in gx86?
aed760e7431f6d5ec7518be4d5b75c84:gentoo-dev
[gentoo-dev] Suggestion about how to tell ATs that a package can be stabilized on all arches at the same time
+b20048140e8a261569fe4a1d561df6c6:gentoo-project
+Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 13-11-2012
b25787ca84c1790154d540be8a3daf43:gentoo-project
[gentoo-project] On eclass APIs
b26796b26c6fbcfbcd3240bf85a2a67f:gentoo-project
diff --git a/decisions/decisions.mlt b/decisions/decisions.mlt
index ba8d4e3..1eb763b 100644
--- a/decisions/decisions.mlt
+++ b/decisions/decisions.mlt
@@ -2,6 +2,8 @@
Sun, 07 Feb 2016 11:15:32
03abd30d8945aa816e39b48fab8a9a62:gentoo-project
Sat, 30 Mar 2013 10:22:11
+05049f71afe57feda13c2f4c4adafc7c:gentoo-project
+Thu, 08 Nov 2012 21:02:49
0a21c4f6829ea34214169a96cacce931:gentoo-project
Tue, 31 Jan 2017 21:36:11
0ac51471c7e665c1eea33d4f38e7fd82:gentoo-project
@@ -98,6 +100,8 @@ a9492947c953dc48f74c825d8704ffc0:gentoo-dev
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 21:28:37
aed760e7431f6d5ec7518be4d5b75c84:gentoo-dev
Sun, 08 Feb 2015 10:17:32
+b20048140e8a261569fe4a1d561df6c6:gentoo-project
+Wed, 31 Oct 2012 00:02:08
b25787ca84c1790154d540be8a3daf43:gentoo-project
Tue, 27 Dec 2011 19:36:02
b26796b26c6fbcfbcd3240bf85a2a67f:gentoo-project
diff --git a/decisions/decisions.tex b/decisions/decisions.tex
index 1ff3a57..c796522 100644
--- a/decisions/decisions.tex
+++ b/decisions/decisions.tex
@@ -125,6 +125,14 @@ pdfauthor={Andreas K. Huettel}
\chapter{Topic notes}
+\chapter{Meeting summaries 2010/11}
+
+Council members: betelgeuse, bonsaikitten (starting 1/2011), chainsaw,
+ferringb, halyc0n (until 12/2010), jmbsvicetto, scarabeus, wired
+
+\include{summary-20110111}
+\include{summary-20110201}
+
\chapter{Meeting summaries 2011/12}
Council members: betelgeuse, chainsaw, dberkholz, grobian, hwoarang,
@@ -142,11 +150,14 @@ jmbsvicetto, ulm
Council members: betelgeuse, dberkholz, chainsaw, grobian, ulm, scarabeus,
williamh
+All summaries have been added here.
+
\include{summary-20120724}
\include{summary-20120814}
\include{summary-20120911}
\include{summary-20121009}
-
+\include{summary-20121113}
+\include{summary-20121211}
\include{summary-20130108}
\include{summary-20130212}
\include{summary-20130312}
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20110111.tex b/decisions/summary-20110111.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..218e28f
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20110111.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,76 @@
+
+\summary{2011}{1}{11}
+
+
+\agendaitem{New Council Member}
+
+Halcy0n stepped down from the council a few days before this meeting.
+The council unanimously accepted patrick, the next in line, to fill
+the empty seat, with this being his first meeting.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Bug 211529}
+\index{EAPI!5}\index{EAPI!4}\index{disable-dependency-tracking}\index{econf}
+
+Reference: \bug{211529}
+
+As summarized in the bug by Ulrich:
+
+So, looks like the possible options are:
+\begin{enumerate}
+ \item
+ Only filter the warning for now, and reiterate for EAPI 5,
+ as suggested by Petteri in comment \#12.
+ \item
+ Change the spec as in attached patch.
+ \item
+ Call ./configure --help | grep disable-dependency-tracking to
+ determine if the option is available (another idea from Diego).
+ \item
+ Remove --disable-dependency-tracking from EAPI 4 entirely.
+\end{enumerate}
+
+Petteri expressed some concern about option 3 as it would mean
+changing an approved EAPI version. Brian and Jorge expressed the view
+that the council can just issue a new tag and that EAPI 4 hasn't been
+approved for use yet. No council member supported option 4. Brian and
+Tony noted that option 2 only partially addresses the issue.
+
+The vote turned out 6 votes for option 3 and 1 [Betelgeuse]
+for option 1.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Bug 322049}
+\index{use_with}\index{EAPI!0}\index{EAPI!1}\index{EAPI!2}\index{EAPI!3}
+\index{EAPI!4}
+
+Reference: \bug{322049}
+
+Jorge asked for a clarification about the proposal to address this
+bug. Brian explained that the purpose is to change EAPI 0 to 3
+definition to state that use_with arg1 arg2 '' can't be relied upon.
+For EAPI 4 it can be relied on. So in EAPI 0-3, use_with arg1 arg2 ''
+is treated as if there were two args, whilst in EAPI 4 it's treated as
+if there were 3 arguments.
+
+All council members approved the proposal.
+
+
+\agendaitem{EAPI 4 tree usage approval}
+\index{EAPI!4!approval}
+
+The council members decided to wait for a new portage release that
+will include the above modifications before approving EAPI-4 for tree
+use. Some members expressed the desire to hold the aprroval until said
+portage release is marked stable, but no decision was made. The issue
+will be resolved and approval will be granted via email or at the next
+meeting.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Slacking arches}
+\index{arches!slacking}
+
+There was some discussion about this issue, but the council members
+decided this needs to be discussed in the -dev ml before the council
+can decide anything about this topic.
+
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20110201.tex b/decisions/summary-20110201.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..b80ca0d
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20110201.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,38 @@
+
+\summary{2011}{2}{1}
+
+
+\agendaitem{Slacker arches}
+\index{arches!slacking}
+
+After a brief discussion about the ml thread, Jorge raised a few concerns
+ about the proposed policy increasing arch teams work and not addressing
+ the issue of lacking hardware.
+ It was decided that Tomas will write a proposal based on the ml thread
+ and that Jorge will try to talk to the arch teams and trustees to see
+ if there is or not a hardware issue and if so will try to address it.
+
+
+\agendaitem{EAPI 4}
+\index{EAPI!4!approval}\index{EAPI!usage when bumping}
+
+The council already approved and published the use of EAPI-4 for testing
+ ebuilds in the tree - mail sent by Alex.
+ While mentioning this point, Tomas recalled his question about changing
+ policy to have developers use the latest EAPI whenever possible, which
+ lead to a long discussion about deprecating EAPI versions and upgrade
+ paths, to be continued in the MLs.
+
+
+\agendaitem{GLEP 48}
+\index{GLEP!48}\index{project!qa}
+
+There was a very long discussion about "authority" and "powers" and whether
+ QA should or not have be able to suspend developer's commit privileges.
+ No consensus was reached and as proposed in the agenda, the GLEP was sent
+ back to be updated with current requests and for further discussion on MLs.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Open floor}
+
+No issue was brought forward to the council
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20121113.tex b/decisions/summary-20121113.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..b9314d0
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20121113.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,107 @@
+
+\summary{2012}{11}{13}
+
+
+
+
+\agendaitem{Handling separate /usr support}
+\index{separate /usr}\index{package!sys-fs/udev}\index{gen_usr_ldscript}
+\index{package!sys-fs/eudev}
+
+References:
+\begin{enumerate}
+ \item
+ \url{https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/2/303}
+ \item
+ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/2208 (dead link)
+ \item
+ \agoref{gentoo-project}{05049f71afe57feda13c2f4c4adafc7c}
+ \item
+ \bug{411627}
+ \item
+ \bug{435756}
+ \item
+ \bug{441004}
+\end{enumerate}
+
+WilliamH requested approval for two methods to support separate /usr
+systems [2]. The discussion is closely related to recent opinons on udev, such
+as e.g. [1], because the main reason to force a system without separate /usr
+during boot is to allow newer versions of udev to be used.
+The originally announced item of discussing the removal of gen_usr_ldscript
+has been retracted [3]. --- approve / disapprove plan (forcing everyone to take
+action, and implement one of the two "supported" solutions)
+
+WilliamH requests a council vote to allow migrating everyone after bugs
+[4,5,6] are resolved. He proposes a news item to announce this that allows to
+assume after a given period of time that everyone who is using split /usr is
+using a method to mount /usr before boot. The focus is purely on this topic.
+
+rich0 prefers to move on until suport for separate /usr becomes a
+barrier, and handle things from there. This allows for alternative
+solutions to be developed and put forward. He favours waiting somewhat
+to see developments of the udev fork.
+
+Chainsaw is a strong proponent for waiting a month and see how the new
+udev fork develops itself. If within a month no solution is provided by
+the udev fork, things need to be moved forward in WilliamH's proposed
+way.
+
+scarabeus approves the plan.
+
+betelgeuse likes to ensure users won't be caught off guard, but has no
+preference for any direction taken in particular.
+
+graaff's main concern is how the problem is tied to udev, or not. A fork of
+udev may not change the situation regarding separate /usr, hence delaying a
+decision now is not sensical. Opt-in system for people to ensure they can
+boot is pre-requisite. If this cannot be ensured, we have to wait.
+
+grobian disapproves the plan, since there will be systems that cannot easily
+be changed to ensure /usr being mounted at boot, and it is no good to expel
+users of (security) updates just because of that. With the use of a special
+profile (masks/unmasks, variables and/or use-flags), users that want to move
+on, can opt-in to getting packages that require non separate /usr.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Policy on "$<$" versioned dependencies}
+\index{$<$ dependencies}
+
+Reference: \agoref{gentoo-project}{b20048140e8a261569fe4a1d561df6c6}
+
+chithahn requested the council to clear up confusion around "$<$" versioned
+dependencies. This issue seems to combine
+\begin{enumerate}
+ \item
+ notorious behaviour from the usual suspects
+ \item
+ QA policies whether or not they are properly documented/advertised
+ \item
+ the technical problem of "$<$" dependencies causing downgrades
+\end{enumerate}
+
+The council sees no rule that makes it illegal to use $<$ dependencies, but
+strongly discourages their use. It must be noted that for some
+packages, a downgrade is very undesirable. This has triggered package
+removals in the past. However, the council requests the teams responsible for
+that removal to act reasonably and in good cooperation with the maintainers of
+the packages in question.
+
+
+\agendaitem{Open bugs with council involvement}
+
+\begin{itemize}
+ \item
+ \bug{383467}:
+ ulm has done the work here, waiting for a confirmation that we can really
+ close the bug
+ \item
+ \bug{438338}: no progress and/or actions planned for this
+\end{itemize}
+
+
+\agendaitem{Open Floor}
+
+No issues were brought up to the council.
+
+
diff --git a/decisions/summary-20121211.tex b/decisions/summary-20121211.tex
new file mode 100644
index 0000000..51d803d
--- /dev/null
+++ b/decisions/summary-20121211.tex
@@ -0,0 +1,33 @@
+
+\summary{2012}{12}{11}
+
+
+\agendaitem{Handling separate /usr support}
+\index{separate /usr}\index{package!sys-fs/udev}\index{package!sys-fs/eudev}
+\index{/usr merge}
+
+Reference: \url{https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/2/303}
+
+After the discussion during the previous meeting, a delay of one
+month due to a new fork of udev was requested. We need an update on
+what's happened.
+
+Chainsaw reported udev and eudev have moved on, and for both it is now
+possible to have a separate /usr. The follow-up discussion related to
+the /usr-merge is necessary.
+
+
+
+\agendaitem{Open bugs with council involvement}
+
+\bug{383467}: ulm has done some work here, but master ballots for 2011 and 2012
+are still missing
+
+
+\agendaitem{Open Floor}
+\index{gen_usr_ldscript}
+
+gen_usr_ldscript() vs --libdir=/lib. Questions on why, and if it makes
+sense to remove gen_usr_ldscript in favour of --libdir. WilliamH will
+open a discussion on gentoo-dev ML.
+